Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I need more ideas

So, lucky me, I get to speak in Stake Conference in a couple of weeks.
My topic is Successful Family Home Evening with Little Children.
Yeah, so I'm asking you (any of you, whether you have kids or not) for ideas.
Ideas of things you have done, things you want to do, things your friends have done.
Or, it doesn't even have to be an idea of something to do, just your thoughts on the matter.
What is your definition of Successful?
Maybe you heard a really good quote at Conference sometime.
Or something.

Anyway, I would really appreciate anything that anybody has to say about Successful FHE with Little Kids.
Thanks everyone!!! I'm looking forward to reading all of your great thoughts!!!

P.S. By posting a comment, you are giving me permission to use anything you say in my talk if I decide to. I hope that is okay! (If you really don't want me to, just let me know.) Thanks again. :)

6 comments:

Knutson Family said...

STAKE CONFERENCE!!! BWAA HAA!!!

Sorry. I know that doesn't help.

BWAA HAAA!!!!

Knutson Family said...

Honestly, I don't know if we've ever had a "successful" FHE with our kids, depending on what your definition of "successful" is. More than just having a FHE where your children sit perfectly still and listen the whole time, I think "successful FHE with little kids" means that you are consistent, and have the spirit there while you teach a very short lesson. Because I think that's the most important reason for having FHE: teaching your children to recognize the spirit. And also spending time with your family so they know you love and want to be with them, that's important too.

thelandofunfinishedprojects said...

other than the ideas that I have already told you, to us a FHE is successful whenever there is no blood involved or trips to the ER:)

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

We start off by singing whatever primary song Asher is into for the moment. Right now it is Sunbeam:) Just this week we did the fishing pole activity, and explained how Jesus preformed many miracles with fish. Asher has asked all week to fish with Jesus again. My dad also has a life size Liahona, which is great since Asher loves Lehi. Another great help is the scripture books with the pictures in them. I will post on my craft blog soon, but I made Asher his own special covered Book Of Mormon, and a personalized tote that he loves to read out of. Matt's sister just got married and we taught Asher about Temples, and now he says that he will get married there too. He also worked for my mom and earned some money, so I tried to teach him about tithing, and he was so excited to hand his 14 cents to the bishop on Sunday. I know this is a long comment, but these are things that have helped us teach him during FHE and church in general.

Janica Ellsworth said...

hey thanks for finding my blog, so now i can look at yours now too! your kids are so cute!

Natster said...

oh sweet Sheri! I am so happy you found my blog! Is it okay if I put you on my blogroll?
How are you? We will definitely have to plan a "Moab" trip/meeting again. lol. :)
As for tips, as I have no kids, I would say simplicity and consistency are the keys. I would refer to Elder Bednar's recent conference talk about consistency. :) Hope the helps.